For this lesson students will need a copy of the attached worksheet to complete during the group practice time.
Warm-up (distribute rulers) (place warm-up on overhead and have students begin working)
After most students are finished (10-15 min), select one student from the cards to roll the dice:
1) When changing from larger units to smaller units, we multiply. Write the example on the overhead: 3 feet * 12inches = 36 inches. We multiply by how many smaller units are in 1 of the larger units. In this case, there are 12 inches in 1foot, so we multiply 3 by 12.
2) When changing from smaller units to larger units, we divide. Give example, and write on overhead: 60 inches = how many feet? We know that there are 12 inches in 1 foot, so we divide by 12. 60 inches / 12 inches = 5 feet. We divide by the number of smaller units there are in 1 of the larger units. In this case, there are 12 inches in 1 foot, so we divide 60 by 12.
1) 3 mi = __?__ ft
2) 48 in = __?__ ft
3) 10 ft = __?__ yd
4) 5 yd = __?__ in:
Closure: Begin at about 9:50
1) What did you learn today?
2) How will this help you in your everyday lives?
3) How can you relate what you learned today to other subjects?